There are many reasons why you may need to hire an immigration attorney. Below are just a few possible situations in which you may need one:
• You need assistance in filling out the necessary paperwork for your citizenship
• You are looking for someone to help you get through the complicated process to become a citizen of the United States
• You are facing deportation, and you want someone who can help you stay in the United States
• You unknowingly hired an illegal immigrant and are unsure of what to do now that you have found out
• You are trying to obtain a visa to work in the United States
• You are interested in studying abroad in the United States, and you are wondering what you need to do to accomplish that
How should you go about finding the right law firm to help you?
There are a lot of immigration law firms because there is a lot of demand for them. Because there are so many issues that are related to immigration and citizenship, a lot of attorneys have decided to practice in this particular field of law. So how can you figure out which of these many attorneys is the right one to provide you with legal assistance, refer you to instructors who can help you pass citizenship exams, and possibly represent you in court?
If you are an immigrant, it is likely that you have some friends and family who are also immigrants. The first step you should take to find a lawyer is asking these friends and family if they have had an attorney who they particularly liked or did not like. The list of attorneys that your loved ones have wanted will help you create a list of possibilities. A list of lawyers who they did not like will help you make a list of people avoid in the next couple of steps. The people who are close to you are the best resource you can find for good, honest reviews, testimonials, and referrals. They have every reason to be frank with you and not lie to you about the credentials of the attorneys who they have had experience with.
If your friends and family cannot help you with high-quality leads for an immigration attorney near Rockville, then the next measure you should take is to check out some reviews or testimonials online. There are plenty of websites with reviews for immigration lawyers. You must proceed with caution when looking at reviews on the internet, however, because some of them may be fake or paid for.
After compiling a list of the best potential immigration attorneys, you must take advantage of the free consultations that most immigration lawyers offer. These consultations will be a good way for you to judge the character of a lawyer, and you can to see if the attorney will be a good fit for you.